Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Music Video: Alina Orlova - Lijo

I've been trying to figure out for years how to better define what music I like.  After all, it would be really easy if I could just decide that I only like - say - electroswing, and just focus on listening to that.  It turns out, though, that I simply can't define what I like.  Music either speaks to me, or it doesn't.

There are a few things that I have been listening to today that speak to me, but foremost among them is the music of Lithuanian artist Alina Orlova.  Many people have commented on her ethereal voice.  She definitely has that.  But she also writes hauntingly beautiful melodies - sometimes just for piano, other times using distinctly Baltic instrumentation.  Her music is startlingly compact in structure, but sweeping in scope.  Whatever it is, there is something about Alina Orlova that I find deeply affecting and appealing.  For a perfect example, you need go no further than her song Lijo.

No comments:

Post a Comment