Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Music Video: 2NE1 - I Am the Best

Let's just get this out in the open:  I generally don't like corporately manufactured music.  In my mind, music should have elements of spontaneity and should represent an emotional connection between the musician and the listener, not be seamlessly prepared by committees and manipulated to sell "product".  Unfortunately, much of what is coming out of east Asia falls under the corporate music umbrella, which is generally why I don't profile much of it here.  There are, of course, massive exceptions like Joyside from China, or ZukunaSisters from Japan.  But unfortunately acts like those are seldom ever heard outside of their home countries, while female Korean versions of NSync pack Madison Square Garden (true story).

That brings us to today's band, 2NE1 and their song I Am the Best.  They are typical of the current crop of Korean (aka "K-Pop") groups.  The group consists of several young attractive women, who are flawless dancers, and who have probably never even met the musicians (well, programmers) who play the music to which they sing along.  It's all so commercial. . . and soulless. . . and empty. . .

. . . and. . .

. . . well, dammit, so catchy!  I want to hate I Am the Best and everything that it represents.  And I will - I promise - as soon as I stop dancing along.

No comments:

Post a Comment