Thursday, January 19, 2012

Music Video: Erdmöbel - Das Leben ist schön

I frequently go through phases with listening to music, where I will latch onto a band, and listen to everything they've ever done for a few weeks.  Then I drift off to my next phase.

The German band Erdmöbel was one of my phases.  This band from Cologne (via Münster) has been around since the mid-1990s, and has evolved significantly over that time in both style and substance.  Their current style, as demonstrated in Das Leben ist schön, has strong hints of Elvis Costello - with its raspy vocals, layered melodies, and sometimes surprising instrumentation.  In this particular case, though, the lyrics are much more optimistic and upbeat than Costello could ever manage.

While I have moved on to new phases, Erdmöbel always has a place in my iPod for times when I want music that makes me feel good.

No comments:

Post a Comment