Friday, September 24, 2010

Bundesvision 2010: Thuringia

Norman Sinn & Ryo: Planlos

In my effort to preview each of the 16 different Bundesvision 2010 entries, I have developed a healthy respect for professional music writers. They get vast amounts of music that goes to their "To Review" pile, and despite the fact that most of it is strictly average, they have to try to write something compelling for their loyal readers. I have had similar issues with the Bundesvision entries. Some are really good.  Some are really unspeakably awful. But most just kind of fall in the middle somewhere, neither making me want to get up and dance/sing along, nor making me wish that somebody would drop a brick on my head from a great height to make it all stop.

And so, without further set up, I bring you Norman Sinn & Ryo's Planlos. It's vaguely danceable. It's vaguely sing-alongable. Ryo even does a nifty little rap in the middle to demonstrate that he's got that urban hip-hop edge that's so popular with the kids these days. I could see humming this song to myself during an absent minded moment on the train. In this age of disposable art, there is probably a lot that can be said for that. But being well suited for our disposable culture may not be the highest praise that can be sung for a song like Planlos.

Prediction: Norman Sinn & Ryo's Planlos no doubt fills a consumer driven need in music. I won't begrudge it that. But like so much else in this world, you could repackage it, rename it, and sell it as "New and Improved" tomorrow without actually having changed anything from the hundred times it has been done before. I predict that Planlos will do reasonably well, if only because it touches all the bases, but I don't see it getting above the middle of the pack.

No comments:

Post a Comment