Friday, September 17, 2010

Bundesvision 2010: Saxony


Blockflöte des Todes: Alles wird teurer

I will admit to being harshly torn on Blockflöte des Todes' Alles wird teurer. On the one hand, I love Blockflöte des Todes. Over the course of one album and a couple of EPs, he (BdT is one guy) has done some really interesting and innovative things musically. He's almost like a 21st Century German version of Robyn Hitchcock, in that he puts out consistently quirky, but also consistently appealing songs. On the other hand, while it has grown on me over repeated listening, Alles wird teurer is nowhere near his best song.

All of this would be okay, if it ended there. After all, great musicians often hit it big with songs that I think are well beneath what they're capable of. But there are a couple of other factors that I think will work against BdT. First, while I personally like quirky music, I think Alles wird teurer is simply way too quirky for popular mass consumption - particularly on a stage like Bundesvision. Second, I think that BdT himself is a little too quirky. I don't mean this in a malicious way, far from it, but Bdt basically looks like a bearded nerd. Again, I find that appealing, but I don't think that this look will appeal to more than a small fringe of Bundesvision viewers.

Prediction: I personally think that Blockflöte des Todes deserves wide recognition for his skill as a songwriter and performer. Realistically, however, I strongly doubt that Alles wird teurer is terribly appealing to the German masses. As much as it pains me to say it, I predict that Alles wird teurer will be stuck down in the basement of Bundesvision 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment