Thursday, September 2, 2010

Bundesvision 2010: Mecklenburg-Vorpommern


Sebastian Hämer: Ist shon okay

What happens in a televised music contest when a good looking singer with a wonderfully rich voice sings a rather run of the mill ballad? It means that amateur pundits like me are left without any idea of what to expect of Sebastian Hämer's Ist shon okay in Bundesvision 2010. Those who enjoy well-executed ballads as performed by a singer who is easy on the eyes will likely enthusiastically support Hämer, while those who want some nourishing filling to fill that attractive crust will likely find the song Ist shon okay to be somewhat lacking.

"But wait," I hear some readers saying, "you hate all ballads. Surely, that colors your opinion of Ist shon okay negatively. That means, if you take away the negativity on the ballad aspect, and consider the positivity of the skilled delivery, Ist shon okay stands a great chance of winning!"

That's a very astute comment, if it were true that I hate all ballads. But actually, I don't hate all ballads; just the ones that return to the same tired formulas that tug at the same over-tugged emotional strings. I love ballads that say something new in an innovative way. While Ist shon okay is not the worst offender of over-tugging by far, it is also neither new nor innovative. Only time will tell if the German public feels the same way I do.

Prediction: Sebastian Hämer's Ist shon okay is probably the most aptly titled song in the Bundesvision 2010 contest. This song doesn't make me want to get up and dance, nor does it melt my frozen heart. On the other hand, it doesn't make me want to cram knitting needles into my ears to stop the musical pain. Because of this middling reaction, I predict Ist shon okay to do okay, and end up in the middle of the pack.

No comments:

Post a Comment