Thursday, September 16, 2010

Bundesvision 2010: Hamburg


Selig: Von Ewigkeit zu Ewigkeit

I have a confession to make. Selig's Von Ewigkeit zu Ewigkeit was released only a few days ago, but in the lead up to its release I listened to a lot of other Selig to get a sense of what to expect. To be honest, I was expecting to hate Von Ewigkeit zu Ewigkeit. I was expecting it to be of a similar ilk to Sebastian Hämer and Unheilig's entries, which were both decently executed but emotionally overwrought power ballads. To put it bluntly, I hate power ballads.

Fortunately, I was wrong. Von Ewigkeit zu Ewigkeit is emotionally loaded, but it isn't cloyingly so. It carries that load with a lightness that the competition can't seem to manage. Yeah, it doesn't quite break out of many of the conventions of a power ballad - up to and including a synth string section to add some punch. But, within those conventions, Von Ewigkeit zu Ewigkeit is able to maintain a basic level of self-respect that can often be lost when frayed emotional strings are too often pulled.

Prediction: While Selig's Von Ewigkeit zu Ewigkeit is a pretty decent song, I doubt that it will over-awe the German public. It will probably beat other songs in this genre in the competition, but it will still probably end up at the lower end of the middle of the pack.

No comments:

Post a Comment