Friday, December 2, 2011

Music Video: Aquarium - Зум, зум, зум

A little over 25 years ago, as the Cold War was slowly sputtering to an end, a friend introduced me to an interesting compilation album called "Red Wave".  It consisted of recordings by around a dozen dissident rock bands from the Soviet Union.  Among the bands was one that I particularly liked: Aquarium.

As I got to thinking about something to post here today, I thought it might be fun to try to find that band again, and maybe even to find an old video for that song on the "Red Wave" album, to feature as a Blast From the Past.  Well, I couldn't find a video for that song.  However, I found something better.

After all of these years, much to my surprise and joy, Aquarium is still around.  Even better, they are still producing interesting and enjoyable music.  In Зум, зум, зум you get an almost Paul Simon "Rhythm of the Saints" vibe, with complex international rhythms punched up by a horn driven chorus.  It's toe tapping and finger snapping, and will probably eventually find its way into steady rotation on my iPod.

No comments:

Post a Comment