Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Music Video: Nisvanis - Uhliin tuhai Logjiltei duu

I suppose that it's a prime example of selection bias.  As I look back over nearly 100 Open World Music posts, the vast majority of my selections have been from Europe.  Part of that comes from the fact that I can muddle through a few western European languages with enough competence to find music that I like.  Part of that comes from common cultural touch points that I can refer to when searching for music.  Part of that is simply that we share a common alphabet with western Europe.

Well, far be it for me to rest on my cultural biases!  When I woke up this morning, the first thought that entered my head (other than "Oh Jesus!  What time is it?!?" and "Where's the coffee?") was: "What is the farthest I can go to find new music for Open World Music?"  After traveling to Uzbekistan yesterday, the next logical place was Mongolia.  I mean, really, you can't get much further away either geographically or culturally.  Right?

I suppose that the answer is a definitive maybe.  As Mongolian band Nisvanis proves with their tune Uhliin tuhai Logjiltei duu, a hard rocking beat, driving bass line, and screaming guitar solos transcend all cultural divides.  At times they're a little metal, at times they're a little punk, at times they're straight ahead alternative.  But after listening to some Nisvanis, I'm almost ready to trade in my Lederhosen for a Del to hit the clubs of Ulan Bator.

No comments:

Post a Comment