Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Music Video: Aydilge - Takıntı

Ah, the leaves have fallen off the trees.  The days are getting shorter.  The chronic depression is setting in.  All of this can mean only one thing:  Thanksgiving is coming!  And in celebration of "turkey day," Open World Music takes you - where else? - to Turkey.  Doing research for this first musical foray into the gateway between east and west was both fun and challenging.  It was fun because I found all manor of really interesting bands.  It was challenging because many of the bands I really liked use really common names, and when I Google them to get more information I come up with all sorts of irrelevant sites.  When I Google them with the descriptor "Turkey," I come up with all sorts of irrelevant and bizarre sites.

But then I came up with Aydilge, and her song Takıntı.  Aydilge comes from a rich lineage of poets and writers, and she has taken that background to work as a singer and songwriter.  As with much of the other popular Turkish music that I have discovered, Takıntı is an exciting blend of western rock and middle eastern rhythms. 

No comments:

Post a Comment