Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Bundesvision 2010 Preview

For us fans of German popular music, the Bundesvision Song Contest is always an enjoyable showcase of some of Germany's best (or at least most marketable) popular music. Because the current year's show is always hosted by the winner of the previous year's show, Berlin's Max-Schmeling-Halle will be hosting Bundesvision on October 1 (Peter Fox of Berlin won last year with Schwarz zu blau.

I don't want to go into too much detail about Bundesvision (for more info go here), but if you have never heard of it, I'll give you a quick rundown of the structure. Each of Germany's 16 states contributes a song from one of its residents as selected by local radio stations. When each song is presented, the German public can then vote for their favorite. The primary rule is that each nominated song must be at least partially in the German language.

As most Americans have never heard of the Bundesvision Song Contest, and particularly as most Americans have never heard any of the nominated bands, I wanted to provide a preview of each entry, and give my unsolicited opinion of which entry I think should win. Over the next few days/weeks, I will dedicate a post to each of the 16 nominated songs. At the very end, I will wrap it all up with my choice of winner. I also hope that any readers who see these posts will also chime in with your favorite(s). When the actual results come back from Germany in October, we can then compare our opinions with how Germany at large feels.

No comments:

Post a Comment