Friday, April 26, 2013

Music Video: Dub Addiction - Zunguzeng Inna Di Penh

Some of the most interesting - and even sometimes enjoyable - music pops up when you least expect it.  Today I was fumbling around YouTube looking for any available tracks from Irie Révoltés upcoming album "Allez" (due out May 3, by the way), and as always I was checking out the recommended videos that also popped up.  What caught my eye was something that both surprised me and made me somewhat suspicious: a dub ragga band from Phnom Penh, Cambodia called Dub Addiction.

Well, how could I possibly not look into this further?  My suspicions turned out to be well founded, as it turns out that Dub Addiction is only partially Cambodian, with the rest of the band from elsewhere.  But the lyrics are an engaging blend of Jamaican patois and Khmer.  It turns out that the music, as illustrated in Zunguzeng Inna Di Penh, has a surprisingly organic sounding groove.  Unlike some musical styles that have been transplanted in a "foreign" culture, nothing about Dub Addiction's take on dub ragga sounds forced or affected. 

No comments:

Post a Comment