Friday, July 6, 2012

Bundesvision 2012: North Rhine-Westphalia

Next, in no particular rational order, we bring you North Rhine-Westphalia's entry to the 2012 Bundesvision Song Contest:  Luxuslärm with Liebt sie Dich wie ich?

As I have said many times before, I often don't get why people like certain songs over others.  For example, as a general rule, I cannot stand power ballads.  They just strike me as being the ultimate in self-indulgent blunt-force emotional manipulation.  But vast numbers of people around the world live for that kind of music.  Fair enough, I suppose.

That all having been said, it is nice when every once in a while a power ballad comes along that has enough depth and a decent enough musical hook that I can enjoy it along with the masses.  Luxuslärm brings us just such a song with Liebt sie Dich wie ich?  Maybe the difference is that it is an alt-rock power ballad rather than a dreaded metal power ballad.  Maybe the difference is that the singer, Jini Meyer, can really belt out a tune.  Maybe the difference is that this song goes deeper than simply trying to emotionally manipulate the listener in the most basic possible way, by having a musical hook that is enjoyable without being oppressive.

Prediction:  Luxuslärm's Liebt sie Dich wie ich? is not my favorite song in Bundesvision 2012 by far.  But it's pretty decent all the same.  I think it will appeal to a lot of listeners, and should propel Liebt sie Dich wie ich? into the top third.

No comments:

Post a Comment