Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Music Video: Rummelsnuff - Salzig schmeckt der Wind

I have pretty broad tastes in music.  That being the case, sometimes I run across an artist who I both really like, but who at the same time makes me think "What the hell?"  A perfect example of this is the German singer Rummelsnuff.  Rummelsnuff's low, almost tuneless, gravelly voice mixes with traditional musical styles into something that is somewhat reminiscent of The Pogues with Shane MacGowan.  But while Shane is a skinny Irishman with no teeth and what is probably an epic case of liver disease, Rummelsnuff is a muscular, German fireplug of a man with more than a passing resemblance to Popeye.  Salzig schmeckt der Wind is one of my favorites from Rummelsnuff.  It is a sea shanty with plenty of wistfulness and emotional depth, and is both captivating and unlike anything else you have ever heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment