Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Open World Music is Reborn. . . kind of. . .

It has been quite a while since I have posted here.  It was not for lack of interest or lack of content.  Rather, it was because I was having a hard time pinning down what I wanted this blog to really be about. 

Initially, I wanted this to largely be a commentary about the music industry in general, particularly as it relates to marketing non-English language music.  Not being an industry insider, but rather simply a borderline obsessed outsider, how much could I really write that would be both informative and entertaining?  That concept lasted all of two posts.

Next, I thought I might make this a music review blog.  I collect music avidly, and would have plenty of interesting music to write about.  After a while, though, I ran out of interesting or insightful things to say.  Rather than simply saying "I liked Tracks 2, 7, and 8 because they rock, and Tracks 1 and 4 because they're mellow," I wanted to provide compelling insights into the listening experience for the whole album (or video, in one case).  Sadly, as I'm neither compelling, nor particularly insightful, that concept also lasted only a couple of posts.

Finally, I focused on the 2010 Bundesvision Song Contest.  Now that was actually kind of a fun project.  Every few days I would watch one of the competing music videos, would comment on whether I personally liked it or not and why, and then would make a prediction about where it would place in the final competition.  While it was good for what it was, it was a very limited universe of music, it was only relevant for a short period of time, and it was only German music.  I want this blog to be so much broader than that.  So, while my preview of the 2011 Bundesvision Song Contest will probably return again this fall, that concept will also only last a dozen or so posts.

So, we come to today.  While this blog has largely been laying fallow for the past 6 months, Open World Music has been alive and well on my Facebook page.  On a semi-regular basis, I have been posting YouTube videos of music that I have been running across, along with a line or two of commentary on why I like that particular song or video.  It is compelling content, it is interesting content, and most importantly for my purposes, it is easy to generate content.

Yes, I will still occasionally prattle on about a subject that I find interesting as it relates to non-English language music.  But mostly, I intend to use this space to expose you, my faithful readers, to new and interesting music.  Rather than simply describing it, though, I will let you listen for yourself. 

I hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment